My New Name...




Ousmane Niang,

That is officially my new name here in Senegal. And no this isn’t some feeble attempt on my part to better assimilate or something, I literally was given that name the moment I met my host family. I still remember my host mom looking me dead in the eyes and saying, “Vous êtes maintenant Ousmane Niang” (“You are now Ousmane Niang), followed by me dumbly replying “Uh ok? Oui oui”. To a degree I somewhat knew this renaming was coming, as we consistently interacted with people during orientation that would ask, “don’t you have a Senegalese name yet?” In Senegal, names are very special, and relay where you fit in the greater community. It is considered an honor on the family’s part to get a chance to re-name someone and bring them into their house. Upon receiving this name, my American name has no longer mattered here. For one; Connor is difficult for people to pronounce, and two; it doesn’t reveal any information to those I meet like Ousmane Niang does.
It took a little bit to get used to this new dynamic, but now I know that if I hear “Ousmane!” while walking down the street, milling around at home, or at work I know someone is talking to me. At home it can be a little difficult to distinguish because I’m actually named after a younger host brother of mine, so my host family has established the big/little dynamic. In Wolof, my host brother is Ouseman bu Rakk (Little Ousmane), and I am Ousmane bu Mag (Big Ousmane).
As far as my last name; Niang, this represents my greater family that I live with. They are well respected, and well known in the suburb of Yeumbeul Nord and are very present in the community. Through them I have already become well integrated with those around me, and I’ve started to learn there is a lot of pride to be able to say I am one of the Niangs.
It feels like quite the new start when living in a country where even something so fundamental as your name is changed, I’m excited to see how I can take this as an opportunity to hopefully develop for the better. And not having to worry about my life previously from influencing how I live here in Senegal. So, let’s see what Ousmane can learn this year.

~Ousmane (Connor)



Comments

Popular Posts